Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Spicy Kung Pao Chicken Pasta





I had always wanted to make Kung Pao Chicken ever since I have tasted the authentic one in Hongkong. I practically researched for recipes online about this well loved
Szechuan/ Asian dish. The traditional Kung Pao dish requires the use of dry sherry or Chinese rice wine and dark soy sauce mixed with chicken stock and thickened with cornstarch. In my version I opted to use the ready mix sauce of Clara Ole’s Kung Pao Pasta Sauce, chopped celery and basil as add-on ingredients. I also diced skinless chicken breast pieces (for lesser fat content) and stir fried it together with the sauce as opposed to the traditional deep fried chicken.

Using Clara Ole’s Kung Pao Pasta Sauce made the process of cooking my Spicy Kung Pao Chicken Pasta faster and more convenient. The sauce itself is already spicy and saucy. I kicked up the spice one notch higher by adding my homemade chili flakes. To make my own chili flakes, I usually buy about one fourth kilo of red bird’s eye chilies and air dry it. Mixed with a dash of Spanish paprika spice, I keep it in a jar and chop when needed to be used. 

The cooked Kung Pao Chicken sauce mixed with the pasta makes an interesting play on the palate. The mix of spicy with a bit of sweetness and the fresh basil added more character to the robust pasta dish. It’s another innovative pasta sauce that I can add to my list of favorites beside my regular tomato sauce and pasta mix creations. It was actually divine!

You can tone down the spice a bit when cooking for others who have low tolerance on spicy dishes, for the sauce is already spicy but I find it tolerable for my taste. To balance the flavor, it is best to add a little sugar while the sauce is being simmered towards thefinal part of cooking.

Here is how I came up with my own version of Spicy Kung Pao Chicken Pasta. ~ HIR



Ingredients:

1 pack 225 gms. Clara Ole Kung Pao Pasta Sauce

250 gms. cooked Amigo Segurado Spaghetti

1/4 kilo diced skinless chicken breast fillet (season with salt and white pepper)

1 pack Happy Peanuts

1 tsp. sugar

1 cup chicken stock

Garlic, finely chopped

Red Onion, finely chopped

Celery and leaves, finely chopped

Fresh Basil leaves

Salt and pepper

Sesame Oil

Dried chili flakes


Procedure:


Stir fry the seasoned chicken fillet pieces in sesame oil. Lightly brown it and set aside once cooked.


Sauté onions, garlic, and celery stalk pieces. Mix the stir fried chicken and season with salt and pepper. 


Add the Clara Ole Kung Pao Pasta Sauce. Mix thoroughly and pour in the chicken stock.
Allow to simmer on low heat. Adjust the taste according to your preference. Once done, pour over cooked spaghetti.



Top with whole peanuts, chopped celery leaves and basil. Finish it off with a dash of chopped chili flakes. Serve.



Eat well, and enjoy good food!





No comments:

Post a Comment

World Visitors Map