Sunday, April 13, 2014

Modern Pinaupong Manok (Sitting Chicken 2014)



I first learned about this dish when I was in grade school. It is always prepared during Christmas holidays, maybe because it is really easy to do and makes the chicken more tastier and looks good on the dining table. For a change,
I experimented on the cooking process a bit and chose to give it a modern twist or version as opposed to the traditional way of cooking it over a bed of salt in the bottom of the pot. This time I made it “lie down”… like how my niece describe it. As to where I made it lie down is what I am sharing on the next set of procedures. I hope it lands on one of your most favorite dishes; I assure you, this Pinaupong Manok (Sitting Chicken) version is very easy to do. 


This week alone I have done it 3 times already, and the sauce always win positive approval from my “tasting committee” (my family of course!). Ok, I will not sound too pushy but try to make this latest dish that I have developed and comment me back below if it turned out well and your family cooked another 6 cup of rice, like mine did. Goodluck!  - HIR.


Ingredients:

1 piece whole dressed chicken

2 stalks of lemongrass (white part pounded)

Oyster Sauce

Light Soy Sauce

500 ml of Sprite or 7 –up (adjust the amount to the size of the chicken)

Ginger

Red Onion

Garlic

Bay Leaf

Salt and Pepper

Procedure:


   Clean chicken thoroughly under running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Rub salt and pepper inside and outside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with quartered onions, ginger, bay leaf, and mashed garlic. Stick the bundled stalk of lemongrass  in the hallowed cavity.


  Mix oyster sauce, soy sauce and massage it all over the chicken. Rub the outside with the mashed white part of the lemongrass. Leave to marinate for at least one hour.



 Pour 500 ml of sprite or 7-up, the rest of the marinate and bring to boil in low fire for an hour. Cover it and constantly check and turnover the chicken each time one side is done.


  Once cooked serve with a mixture of lemon, onion, soy sauce, a little sugar and chili. If there are left over sauce, thicken it a bit with cornstarch and bring to a boil. It may also serve as a good dipping sauce for this version.




Happy eating from I am the Cook!


No comments:

Post a Comment

World Visitors Map