Friday, April 19, 2013

My Red Sinigang - Pork Spareribs in Tamarind Soup (Sinigang na Tadyang ng Baboy sa Sampalok)



Sinigang is a basic Filipino dish that borders on being sour and tasty. The best souring ingredient that i usually use is Tamarind. If I find one in the market I use the fresh ones, boiling and squeezing it from its pods, but I did not find any fresh ones today so I prefer the trusted Tamarind powder brand. To make my Sinigang deviate from the usual basic sour soup, I added
 Del Monte tomato sauce
to add a bit of color and make use of Lycopene health benefits. Tomatoes are rich in vitamin A and C, it is also rich in antioxidants. However, cooked tomatoes are more preferred because it can provide over six times the Lycopene than eating fresh tomatoes. This is my version of  Red Sinigang using pork spareribs, I chose spareribs because meat closest to the bone turns out to be more juicy and tasty. About half a kilo  of spareribs was used on this dish. The addition of fresh vegetables and tomato sauce made it more nutritious and interesting. Make meals extra special and healthy by adding Del Monte tomato sauce on your sinigang, I guarantee that your family will love it. My sour soup turned out sweet, richer and tastier. This is my version of "Red Sinigang" that is perfect for the rainy days.



Fresh meat and vegetables.


Cut and portion the veggies.

 Ingredients:

1/2 Kilo Pork Spareribs, cut into chunks

1 Pouch(200 g) Del Monte Tomato Sauce

1 medium eggplant, sliced diagonally

1 bunch String beans (sitaw)

1 medium size radish, sliced diagonally

2 pcs. gumbo (okra)

2 pcs. fresh tomatoes chopped

1 pc. red onion

2 pcs. finger chilis

1 puch Tamarind powder mix

1 liter water

1 bunch Water Spinach (Kangkong) leaves and tender stalks only

1/2 tsp. fish sauce


Procedure:


      Wash thoroughly all the vegetables and meat prior to cooking.

    In a stock pot bring to boil the spareribs on 1 liter of water

           Allow it to boil until the meat is tender.

                       Take out all scum that rises to the surface. Boil for half an hour.

                        

                                Add onions, tomatoes, and Del Monte tomato sauce.




Add all vegetables except water spinach. Pour tamarind powder.
Keep in low heat and constantly boiling.


Finally, add the river spinach (kangkong) cover then simmer for 1 minute. Season and add fish sauce and cut  finger chilis


Ready to serve with a dip of fish sauce & crushed chili.
I love my Red Sinigang!





No comments:

Post a Comment

World Visitors Map