Today I'm sharing a very simple, easy to prepare, dinner recipe that is sure to put a smile on many (if not all) of the faces at your dinner table.Chicken, broccoli and Amigo Segurado spaghetti come together in a smart new way with this savory dish.Creamy, cheesy, indulgent and comforting,a perfect pair for this cold weather.Overall a good 30 minute pasta dish. for variety, try baking it, or add italian seasoning for added enhancement. It can also be one
great way of using up leftover meat and whatever veggies you have in the fridge. Try canned tuna instead of chicken in this dish, and experiment with the veggies by keeping the quantities similar and using whatever you have available.
Trying on sir chief's endorsed spaghetti brand. :)
Broccoli's noteworthy nutrients include vitamin C, vitamin A (mostly as beta-carotene), folic acid, calcium, and fiber. While the calcium content of one serving doesn't equal that of a glass of milk, broccoli is an important calcium source for those who don't consume dairy products. Calcium does more than build strong bones. Research shows that this mineral may play a role in the control of high blood pressure, and it may work to prevent colon cancer. Beta-carotene and vitamin C are important antioxidants that have been linked to a reduced risk of numerous conditions, including cataracts,heart disease, and several cancers.
When buying broccoli, choose vegetables that have a uniform green color with no major brown or yellowing spots. The broccoli stem should feel firm and the crown should be tight and springy; soft stems or limp florets are a sign of old broccoli. Store broccoli in the crisper drawer in the fridge until you're ready to use it. Broccoli should keep fairly well for at least a week.
Broccoli can be eaten raw, but blanching it quickly in boiling water helps give it a more crisp-tender texture and bring out its flavor.
How to blanch broccoli:
1. Trim Off the Florets - Slice straight through the broccoli stem as close to the crown as you can get. The crown should break into several large florets. Cut through the "trunk" of each floret to make bite-sized pieces. Place these in a small bowl and run them under water to wash away any grit.
Cooking Method #1: Blanching - Prepare a bowl of ice water and have it next to the stove. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add a heaping tablespoon of salt. Add the broccoli florets and cook until crisp-tender, 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge immediately in the ice water. Let the water come back to a boil, then cook the stems until they are also crisp-tender, 1 1/2 - 2 minutes. If you would like softer vegetables, cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Creamy Chicken Vegetable Pasta
500 gms Amigo Segurado Spaghetti
500 gms, Magnolia chicken breast fillet (pre boiled)
1 big can Evaporated milk
1 block grated processed cheese (eden)
1/4 broccoli, trimmed and blanched
1 pc carrots , diced
1 pc red bell peppers. diced
200 gms, sweet green peas.
1 tsp white pepper powder
1/4 cup chopped onion leeks
1 tsp. iodized salt
2 tbsps. olive oil (for sauteeing)
2 cups chicken stock (from the pre boiled chicken)
fresh basil (optional)
1 cup grated cheese
1. Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package. Drain pasta;toss on olive oil in a bowl, set aside.
2. Par boil chicken breast fillet in half liter of water in a pot, set aside once cooked and break down to bite size pieces.
3. Blanch broccoli in salt water, for 2 minutes, drain and place in a bowl of ice, to maintain its crunchy texture. do not overcook.set aside.
4. Saute onions, garlic, chicken fillet pieces,carrots,green peas and bell pepper, season with salt and white ground pepper. add 2 cups chicken stock. simmer all together.
5. On medium heat, add milk, constantly stirring up to a quick boil. Lower the fire once milk is added to avoid curdling.
6.Add in broccoli and chopped leeks.Mix thru and keep in low fire.
One quick boil and it's done!
Taste test of the cream sauce on cooked Amigo Segurado Spaghetti.
Remove from heat.toss to coat evenly on cooked pasta,sprinkle with chopped fresh basil if desired. Grate cheese on top.
Pasta Dinner is served....Bon Appetit!!! :)